Sunday, March 26, 2017

Anahankara - Egolessness

What is Ego?

  • To think about myself as what I am not is ego
  • Ego has no reality. To believe in reality is not Ego.
  • "To say I am intelligent" is a reality. Not Ego.
  • But "I am most intelligent", "Without me, they can't even manage" - this is ego, not reality.

What is the Reality?

  • I eat the food, but I don't have the capacity to digest it. I can do nothing once it has entered my body. But the Lord takes care.
  • I breathe air, but I don't have the capacity to create it. I can't do anything if all the air in the world disappears. But the lord takes care.
  • I can think whatever I want, but I can't make the mind work. It is the Lord who gives us the ability to think, feel and express. The Lord takes care.
  • The world is created by him. The creation is going on because of his grace. The Lord takes care.
  • Who makes the earth rotate? Who makes children grow? Who makes flowers bloom and the stars shine? The Lord takes care.
  • We can do nothing. Then why do we have such false ego that " I am important" or "I am the greatest" or "I study" or "I help"??? It is silly.
How to have the Attitude of Egolessness?
  • God alone does everything. We are only instruments in his divine hands, like the flute is an instrument Krishna plays.
  • When we hear good music, we praise the flute-player, not the flute. And when we hear bad music also, we say "You are not playing properly today". There is no credit or fault of the flute.
  • Same way, whatever happens is his grace. Neither can we claim any praise nor should any criticism upset us. Whenever praise or criticism happen, mentally say "Ishwara Arpanam Astu" - May it go to the Real Doer - The Lord.
  • We should only try to become better instruments in his hand. If the instrument is good, the music will flow more beautifully.
  • So, by practicing the Indispensable Values, we become better instruments in the hands of the Lord. This is egolessness.
Drop the Ego
- Geeta Talk by Gurudev Swami Chinmayananda




1 comment:

  1. So being true to yourself is not ego but to over exaggerate the truth or lie is ego

    ReplyDelete